Key Stage 4 (Years 10 & 11) follow the new BTEC 2012 (NQF) Level 2 Award in Business and our KS5 (Sixth form) students have two new qualifications to choose from at Level 3. They are the new BTEC 2016 (NQF) in Business and BTEC 2016 (NQF) in Enterprise & Entrepreneurship.
As an Enterprise specialist, all courses in the department are planned underpinning the curriculum with Enterprising activities and challenges. Enterprise helps to build on student skills to make students more employable. Skills such as leadership, teamwork, financial capability, presentations, time management and working to deadlines.
The following Enterprise challenges are weaved into the courses we run: -
- Year 7 - 8 Tenner;
- Year 9 The National Enterprise Challenge;
- Year 10 - 11 The Real Business Challenge (Coca Cola);
- Year 12 Young Enterprise Company Programme
Trips into industry are also essential to build students experience in business and also added to the Business curriculum to add value to our courses. Annual trips and outside speakers currently include:-
- Year 9 The National Enterprise Challenge Final (last year Alton Towers);
- Year 10 /12 Trip to the Coca Cola factory (Sidcup) – Business & Marketing strategy;
- Year 10 /12 Trip to the Sky Skills Academy – Job roles and responsibilities;
- Year 10/12 Trip to Thorpe Park – Marketing;
- Year 12 ‘Launch Pad’ delivered by Young Enterprise;
- Year 12 Young Enterprise Company Programme area final – KMPG, Canary Wharf;
- Year 12/13 Trip to Innovation Station 02 – Marketing and Business strategy.
The department has been recognised by Young Enterprise as a Centre of Enterprise Excellence and we have recently been filmed delivering the ‘The Real Business Challenge’ by Coca Cola Enterprises for their new website.