Thank you for visiting Modern Foreign Languages. The Head of Department is Mrs C Catterall supported by Miss D Bittner and Miss V Kuratomi.
Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8, & 9) follow the National Curriculum for Modern Foreign Languages. Teaching focuses on developing pupils’ competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing, based on a sound foundation of core grammar and vocabulary. It should provide suitable preparation for further study.
The new curriculum provides our students with the very best opportunities to prepare them for progression into Key Stage 4 studies in whichever language they have studied from Year 7.
In today's world young people who have a second language are at a huge advantage. There are many benefits of learning a foreign language. Here are just a few: -
- English is not enough! It's really important that you learn to speak and understand other people no matter where they are from.
- It’s the perfect way to meet new people and discover new cultures;
- Learning a foreign language can help you understand your own language and make it easier to learn others;
- You develop 4 key skills; listening, reading, speaking and writing;
- Speaking more than one language increases your brain capacity and you have better memory too;
- It’s an impressive achievement to speak a foreign language and you'll have better options for your future!